Concordia Institute for Information Systems Engineering (CIISE)

Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) and Master of Applied Science (M.A.Sc)

Academic Requirements for Application

Academic Standing

-            C Rule

-            F Rule

-            GPA Graduation Requirement

Application Deadlines - Canadians and Permanent Residents

Application Deadlines - International Students

Application Payment Method

Address – Change of

Beginning Your Program – Summer, Fall or Winter


Deferral of Admission to the Program

Documents for Application

Documents to Attach for online Application Form

Duration of Master’s Programs

Five (5) Credit Project

Funding for Graduate Students

I.D. Number

Leaves of Absence

Letter of Admission Acceptance

Letters of Recommendation / Letters of Reference

Letter of Attestation – Completion of Studies

Merit Certification

Registration and Registration Forms

Seminar Course

Thesis Procedures


Transfer to Other Program or Degree - Prospective Students

Transfer to another program in the same department - Current Students

Transfer from One Department to Another – Current Students

Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant Positions

Tuition Costs


Academic Standing

·                   C Rule

o   Students who receive more than one C grade during the course of their studies will be withdrawn from the program.

·                   F Rule

o   Students who receive an F grade in the course of their studies will be withdrawn from the program

·                   GPA Graduation Requirement

o   In order to graduate, students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00


Application Deadlines - Canadians and Permanent Residents

What are the deadlines to apply to the program for permanent residents and Canadians?

Answer:  The deadlines are as follows: 

February 1st - Summer term (May/June)

June 1st - Fall term (September)

October 1st - Winter term (January)


Application Deadlines - International Students

What is the deadline for international student applications to apply to Quality Systems Engineering (QSE) and Information Systems Security (ISS) programs?

Answer:  The application deadlines for international students are as follows:

October 15 - Summer term (May/June)

February 15 - Fall term (September)

June 15th - Winter term (January)



Student I.D. Number

Regarding student ID; I spotted an application (WRN XXXXXXX) on top of my online application form, does it mean student ID? 

Answer:  When you sign up to Connect2 Concordia, the application number that they provide you with is WRNXXXXX.  This is not to be confused with your CONCORDIA ID NUMBER.  To get your ID, once you have submitted your online application and paid your application fee of $100 with a valid credit card, you will receive a confirmation email with a 7 digit student ID number.


Application Payment Method

How do I pay the application fees?

Answer: Please visit for complete details


Academic Requirements for Application


·                   I was wondering what the educational requirement was for your Master’s programs? Must one have a bachelor's of engineering or computer science?

Answer:  The admission requirement for the above program is a Bachelor degree in Engineering or Computer Science, with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 or equivalent.  Students applying to the Information Systems Security program must also have a solid knowledge of software engineering/development. 

·                   I am interested in a Master’s program in the area of Information Systems Security. I have been looking at the M.Eng. and M.A.Sc. information systems security programs. I was unable to see the requirements.  What are they?

 Answer: Our basic requirements for admission into a Master’s degree or a Graduate Certificate program are: 

·                   a four years or equivalent of bachelor's degree in Engineering or Computer Science

·                   an equivalent CGPA of 3.00 or higher



On-line Application Form – Attachment of Documents For CIISE

For my on-line application form, it allows me to attach the following documents.  Can you tell me which one is mandatory for a master's program in CIISE? 

Answer: To apply to the Master programs in Information Systems Security (ISS) or Quality Systems Engineering (QSE), you will need to attach the following documents:

·                   The Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science form

·                   Your transcript

·                   Permanent Residency Card (PR Card)

·                   Statement of Purpose, C.V./ Resume

·                   Canadian Citizenship Card (If applicable)

·                   Quebec Birth Certificate or Baptismal Certificate (If applicable)

·                   If you are an International student and have not studied in English, then you may need to take the TOEFL test.


What documents do I need to submit with my application?

Answer:  Please find below the list of documents that you need to submit with your application:

·                   Statement of Purpose (max. 500 words)

·                   ENCS Academic Assessment form

·                   Official language and translation of transcript

·                   Official language and translation of diploma/certificate

·                   3 letters of recommendation (attach ENCS academic assessment form to each letter).

·                   Updated c.v./resume

·                   TOEFL iBT score of 85 with a minimum of 20 in each section, or IELTS band score of 6.5 (for international students and permanent resident less than two years).


Recommendation Letters / Letters of Reference

Does the application process require recommendation letters?

Answer:  Yes. The application process requires 3 recommendation letters.


Merit Certification

I am applying to the Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) program in Quality Systems Engineering, should students provide a “Merit certification”?

Answer: It is not required of you to provide a Merit of certification.



I'm applying for the Fall session, however, my TOEFL score will not be ready before the application deadline (February 15 for International students). I'm concerned about this, but I'm really interested in applying for Fall.  Is there something that can be done?

Answer:  You may still send in your TOEFL score after the February 15th deadline. As soon as you get your score, upload it and send it to the Admissions Office. As long as they have a copy until the TOEFL center sends the official one to us.

What is the University’s TOEFL ID number and how would you like the score to be reported?

Answer:  The University's TOEFL number is 0956-00. The TOEFL center usually sends us a copy of your score.


Connect2.concordia Portal Access

I am applying to Concordia University for the M.Eng. program in Information Systems Security.   I have doubts regarding the application process in the connect2.concordia portal.

Answer:   The departments do not have access to look into your application process. Only the Admissions Office has access to this.  


Grades for Admissions

The University where I am currently doing my final year in Engineering does not issue official grade sheets/ transcripts of engineering. These can only be requested in the following situations:  misplacing them, lodging a formal police complaint or reporting in a national newspaper. Can Concordia University accept photocopies attested by the Director of my Engineering college? 

Answer:  You may upload your copies of your transcripts and degree certificates; however we still need the original copies. If you are unable to get the original copies you will then need to have your copies notarized.


Class Division

What does “class division” mean, found in the ENCS assessment form in the on-line admission application? 

Answer: Class division is a grading system used throughout many countries including Middle Eastern countries, India, Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Parts of Canada & England.  Please disregard if not pertinent to your application.


Beginning the Program

When can I enter the master’s program?

Answer:  The three admission sessions for the Master's degree are Fall, Winter and Summer sessions.  Admission into Graduate Certificate programs is every Fall session.


Duration of Master’s Programs

Is the Master’s program a one year or a two year program?

Answer: Minimum of 2 years

What is the duration of the Master’s programs?

Answer:  The minimum duration of the Master’s program is two years or six semesters (Summer [May- August], Fall [September-December] & Winter [January-April]). As for the Graduate certificate, it is a program that may be completed in one year (Fall [September-December] & Winter [January-April]).


Letter of Acceptance

I would like to know the status of my admission letter, whether it has been sent or not.

Answer: Your original letter of admission will be sent to you by mail. The Office of the Registrar is the department that sends the original letters of admissions to the students.


Concordia Institute for Information Systems Engineering (CIISE)

I am applying for the M. Eng. program at CIISE as an international student. Would you please verify whether the CIISE is an independent institute in collaboration with Concordia University or it belongs individually to Concordia as a Faculty or College member? 

Answer:  The Concordia Institute for Information Systems Engineering (CIISE) is a department within the Faculty of Engineering & Computer Science at Concordia University.  Individuals graduating from our programs will obtain a Master in Engineering (course option) or a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (for thesis students) from Concordia University.


Deferral of Acceptance for Admission to the Program

Please see link below: You are required to fill out this form and pay a fee $25.00. Please send both the form and the payment to:

Graduate Program Assistant

CIISE – Concordia University

1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West, Room EV 7.640

Montreal, Quebec

H3G 1M8


Deferral Form:

1)  If the student knows someone in Canada s/he could ask them to pay the fee on her behalf (student’s name and I.D. number should be included on the payment document).

2) The payment can be paid by the student by certified cheque or money order “which must be payable on a Canadian Bank” (student’s name and I.D. number should be included on the payment document).

Following are the instructions for those paying by wire/bank to bank payments.

3) Wire transfers for International students only (please consult:

International students can make a payment by international wire or direct transfer of funds. Please make sure that the student's name and I.D. number is included on all wire transfer documents.

Make all wire transfers payable to : Concordia University

Transfers in Canadian funds are made directly to

Bank of Montreal

1205 St. Catherine St. West

Montreal , QC H3B 1K7


Swift No. BOFMCAM2

Transit # 21181

Branch # 001

Account # 1110-585


Transfers in U.S. funds are made via

Our U.S. Intermediary bank:

Wachovia Bank

New York , New York




To our Canadian bank:

Bank of Montreal

1205 St. Catherine St. West

Montreal , Quebec H3B 1K7



Swift No. BOFMCAM2

Transit # 21181

Branch # 001

Account # 4606-964



Transfer to Other Program or Degree - Prospective Students

I have applied to another department in the Faculty of Engineering & Computer Science. Now, I want to transfer my application to the M.A.Sc. in Information Systems Security in CIISE. Please let me know what the process is.

Answer:   You will need to re-apply on-line and send another statement of purpose with your updated C.V. 

Transfer to another program in the same department - Current Students

What is the procedure to transfer from one program to another one within the same department?

 Answer:  To transfer from one program into another one within the same department (ex: thesis to course option or vice versa), students are required to complete a hard copy application only (found at our reception area, EV7.640), not register on line. 

• For example, if a student has completed 5 semesters of study and wants to transfer to another program within the Faculty of Engineering & Computer Science, s/he will still be required to pay another 6 full semesters in the new program of study.  However, students are allowed to change programs within their current department of study.

Transfer from One Department to Another Department – Current Students

What is the procedure to transfer from one department to another?

Answer:  To transfer from one department to another department, the student needs to apply on-line and then register for courses. Then, the student should inform the Graduate Program Assistant via email that they are transferring. If the student is transferring into the M.A.Sc. program then s/he should make sure a thesis supervisor has agreed to supervise you prior to transferring.  Concordia University may transfer up to 5 courses (20 credits), but only if the marks are B and higher.  Concordia University will only transfer credits, not grades.

·                   For students coming from another university, Concordia University may transfer up to 12 credits.


Tuition Costs

How much does it cost to join your programs?

Answer: Tuition fees can obtained by going to the following website links

Master's degree: 

Graduate Certificate:


Funding for Graduate Students

I have been granted admission to the Graduate program (Master of Applied Science) in Information Systems Security at Concordia University, as a full-time student for the Fall term beginning September. I would like to know if the Department can grant me the funding because I have heard that full time students can get full funding. 

Answer: There is no full funding per se.  However, please note that full-time students are eligible to apply for University scholarships.  These competitions are open to all full-time students. Please find the link below for more information concerning financial aid:   

You may also wish to consult the International student office website for more information:   

You may also wish to talk to your thesis supervisor for funding opportunities. 


Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant Positions

How much of my expenses will being a TA or an RA cover per year? 

Answer:   Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant positions are not guaranteed. You will need to apply for available TA positions each semester.  You may discuss the possibility of RA funding with your thesis supervisor.  



Regarding the CO-OP option (M.A.Sc.), does the work period cover the expenses of the program including basic living costs? 

Answer:  The CO-OP option does not cover the expenses of the program and living expenses. The company will pay you for the duration of your work term. There is a $150 CDN fee to be in the CO-OP program. Please see the following link. 

For employment on campus, you may find more information from CAPS via the following link:

What are my options for covering my expenses while studying? Does admission provide some form of financial income?  

Answer:  You may apply for scholarships & awards each semester.  However there are competitions for these awards. Please see the following link that might helpful. 


What are the requirements for the Co-op program?

Answer: The Institute for Co-operative Education Program is open to thesis program students.  It is the same as a regular thesis program, with work study components.  Once you have completed 4 out of 5 courses you can come to see the Graduate Program Assistant to apply for the Co-op program. A minimum GPA of 3.2 is required to enter this program.  The work study component is usually two terms, depending on the employer. 

Please see the following link:  


Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) and Master of Applied Science (M.A.Sc)

What is the difference between the M.Eng. and the M.A.Sc programs?

Answer: The difference between the M.A.Sc (Thesis option) and M.Eng. (Course option) is the THESIS component.  Students enrolled in the thesis program must carry out research in a certain topic and defend their theses at the end of their program.


Independent Students

Can an International Student apply as an independent student?

Answer: International Students cannot apply for Independent student status because they will not be allowed to apply for a student Visa, unless they apply to a specific program.


Change of Address

My address in the online system is incorrect.  How do I edit this?

Answer: To edit your student profile, i.e. change of address, email, etc.; go to your student portal in the Concordia website


Leaves of Absence

·                   Leaves are granted only to students in good academic standing (CGPA>3.00).

·                   Students cannot be on Leave in terms where a course with a DISC notation appears.

·                    Types of Leaves & Fees:

o   Leave without access: a student will not have access to library, university or student services. No fees are charged.

o   Leave with access: granted only under exceptional circumstances. A flat service fee of $150 per term will be charged.

o   Parental leave: up to three consecutive terms. No fees are charged.




Registration Form

Drop and Add Form

Please print out and complete the registration form in full: I.D., Program, courses (INSE XXXX/4 WW), signature, and email address.

Student may register for a maximum of 3 courses per semester.

M.A.Sc. Students:

Courses must be approved by your Supervisor PRIOR to registration.


5-credit Project


·                   Before registration: a student must obtain written consent of a faculty member who will act as a supervisor for the 5-credit project.

·                   Register for the course: ENGR 6991

·                   Project Report Requirements:

o   The project may consist of:

§  A theoretical and/or experimental study of an engineering problem.

§  A design and/or development research project conducted at CIISE.

§  A comprehensive literature review on an appropriate topic in information systems engineering.

o   Due date: a report is due on the last day of classes of the term in which a student is registered in ENGR 6991.

o   A copy of the report must be attached to the grade submission form by your project supervisor.


Seminar Course


·                   Register for the course:

o   INSE 6961: Graduate Seminar in Information & Systems Engineering.

·                   Requirements:

o   Attend 8 seminars during Fall & Winter semesters

o   Submit 3 reports of 3 pages each on 3 seminars along with the signed attendance forms

How many seminars do I need to attend for the 1-credit seminar course?

Answer: CIISE students wishing to take the 1-credit seminar course INSE 6961 shall attend a minimum of 8 seminars during the Fall and Winter semesters, and submit a total of 3 reports of 3 pages each on 3 seminars along with all the 8 signed seminar attendance forms.  These seminars also include MASc and PhD thesis defences. Please check your email regularly for seminar announcements. Please note that the deadline is the last day of classes of the term in which a student is registered in INSE 6961 after attending all the required 8 seminars.

Can I attend seminars for the 1-credit seminar course in Winter 2011 and register and attend remaining seminars in Fall 2011? Or do I have to attend seminars in the two consecutive semesters?

Answer:  You must attend seminars in both terms because we do not offer 8 seminars in one term.  Please note that we do not offer seminars in the summer.

         BACK TO THE TOP

 Thesis Procedures

 How to submit my thesis prior to defence?  

Answer:  You shall submit 4 or 5 copies of your thesis (without co-supervisor = 4 copies; with co-supervisor = 5 copies) by March 18  for Spring Convocation and by August 18  for Fall Convocation:  

·                   1 copy goes to the Thesis Office in the School of Graduate Studies - located at Annex S - 2145 Mackay.

·                   All other 3 or 4 copies go to the Graduate Program Assistant (currently Ms. Silvie Pasquarelli).

 The first submission of thesis shall be printed on regular paper and submitted in 4 or 5 boxes. You can purchase these boxes from Concordia's bookstore (~85 cents each box). 

 How to submit my final thesis after defence?    

Answer:  You must submit the final version of your thesis electronically (i.e. all modifications completed) by April 15 for Spring Convocation and by September 15 for Fall Convocation.

The electronic submission must be in PDF/a format (archival PDF). For information on how to submit theses, students must log on to Spectrum ( using their portal name and ID. Follow instructions using the HELP button. Students will be provided with detailed instructions.

Students must also submit one paper copy of their thesis to the Thesis Office. This copy will not be returned to the student. The Thesis Office will send this copy for microfilming.

         BACK TO THE TOP

Completion of Studies Letter of Attestation

I have completed my studies. Where do I get a letter attesting to this?

Answer: Students need to go to LB-185 (Birks) to acquire the letter. 

         BACK TO THE TOP